Attaching a grease gun to a zerk fitting is comparably a tricky part where most people lost track because of the lack of proper knowledge. But today I’m going to teach you some easy steps on how to attach grease gun to zerk fitting. Follow my steps and you will get the job done in no time.
Table of Contents
How It Works
The working principle of a zerk fitting is very simple. The zerk fitting is a small nipple, containing a ball bearing and it threads into a hole. This keeps the contamination out from the gun and keeps the grease in.
The way it is designed, it allows the grease gun to push clean and fresh grease into the fitting. Whenever a greasing requirement is found, a hard to reach point is found, where lubrication is needed. In this case, zerk fittings are there to help you.
How to Attach Grease Gun to Zerk Fitting
- First what you need to do is set the grease gun right. Meaning, fit the extension hose with coupler on the tip of it to the grease gun.
- You’ll see a 4 jaw construction inside the coupler. It is basically a 4 jaw construction type.
- This 4 jaw construction can change its position manually. They are spread out at first and you’ll notice some space between the jaws.
- When you turn the coupler to screw it, you’ll see the 4 jaw construction closing up.
- Now, you already know that zerk fitting is a small nipple containing a ball bearing and it threads into a hole. The hole here indicate 4 jaw construction in the coupler.
- You’ll have to put in the zerk fitting inside the coupler.
- Now, turn the coupler so that it pinches down the jaw construction to hold the zerk fitting by its shoulder. The shoulder is the part that is under the ball bearing part of the zerk fitting.
- Once the 4 jaw coupler is clamped down on the fitting, you are hands-free and you are good to go.
- Remember, you have to screw the zerk fitting tight with the grease gun. Otherwise, the zerk fitting will pop out from the grease gun. This is a very common case with the grease fitting in the grease gun.
Some Basics about Zerk Fittings
First, I’m going to tell you some basics about zerk fittings. This will give you the primary knowledge about the procedure and make the work easy for you.
A zerk fitting is also known as grease fitting, grease nipple or alemite fitting. Zerk fitting goes with the grease gun coupler. It is basically used for feeding lubricants using a grease gun on a bearing. This works under moderate to high pressure and usually, the lubricating grease is being fed.
Zerk fitting comes in various types. They are given below
- AS Grease Fittings
- 1/8” PTF Grease Fittings
- Metric Grease Fittings
- Double Head Fittings
- Drive Type Grease Fittings
- Stainless Steel Fittings
- Air Vent Grease Fittings
- Pin Type Grease Fittings
- ¼”-28 Taper Thread Grease Fittings
- Leakproof Grease Fittings
- Pressure Relief Grease Fittings
- Pin Type Grease Fittings
There are many more types available on the market for you to work. Most of them work under the same procedure. They are not so big in size, so handling them is quite tricky.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to remove a zerk fitting from the grease gun?
Removing a zerk fitting from a grease gun is very easy. In a nutshell, you have to undo the attaching process. Meaning, unscrew the coupler and this will allow you to pull the zerk fitting up from the coupler of the grease gun. It is easy like that!
Why my grease gun gets stuck on the zerk fitting?
Sometimes grease gun gets stuck on the fitting. It is a common issue. This is caused by clogging of the joints/jaw constructions. This getting-stuck thing will continue if you don’t clean it up. You can try injecting high pressure solvent to break up the clog.
Sometimes, just by unscrewing the fitting from the hose gets the work done. For that, you obviously have to apply some extra pressure on it.
How do I replace my zerk fitting?
Zerk fittings are used for lubricating places that are hard to reach. You might want to replace your fittings from that specific point. For doing that just unscrew the fitting from that point and then screw and replace it with another one. And you are done.
My Final Tips Regarding Zerk Fitting And Grease Gun
If you are using a grease gun, which basically means you are working in a workshop or a garage. There are always some safety factors following how to attach grease gun to zerk fitting.
Lubricating a certain point sure seems fun. But never use excessive grease, use the amount you need. Don’t overfill your zerk fitting while greasing, this can cause contamination and damage to your grease gun parts.
Always keep your zerk fitting clean. You can use a small cloth to do so. Grease can attract dust, sand, and dirt. So, cleaning is important to keep the quality good of the zerk fitting. This also helps you to stop contamination of the grease.
A grease blow out can happen. For this, you have to listen to the crack. When you are using zerk fittings to make a void space grease full, a crackling sound might occur on the other end of the seal.
This gives you a knowledge of the overabundance of grease exiting the point. So, you have to stop when you hear the crack.
Zerk fittings come in different shapes and construction. All the fittings have their own characteristics. Whatever the size is, you’ll find a compatible coupler for that. Now, remember to choose the best fitting for yourself.
Check the perfect temperature value for your use. Do not stay in doubt, always check before you use something.
Grease compatibility is also important. You need to make sure if your grease is compatible with your job or not.
Always wear gloves. You can get your hand covered in grease working with a grease gun or using a zerk fitting. Unfortunately, if these grease goes inside your stomach or touches your eyes, bad things can happen. So, always wear gloves working with grease.